Asked to donate an item to our school auction; I decided upon an 18″doll package. Some of the package items included a wooden doll bed, tiny wooden hangers and clothing. Looking for simple storage ideas for clothing and accessories; George and I combined several designs we found online.
The clothing storage rack’s total size is 10″ deep by 18″ tall by 20″ wide. George cut 5 wood pieces: 2 tall tapered sides (I traced pattern shape on paper), a bottom, and 2 storage section wall sides which are 3″ tall.
George and I spent the weekend helping our daughter and son-in-law build a TV-multimedia console. Brianne and Brian found online plans that would suit their needs, but desired storage with more of a mid-century flair.
The inspiration choices were narrowed down. However, it still wasn’t quite what they had in mind. They didn’t want all the wiring and electronics exposed, but were concerned about enclosing heat-producing electronics.
George has an awesome gift: he can look at a photo (“I want it to look just like this”) and in turn, build whatever piece of furniture requested. This gift came in handy as we helped our son-in-law and daughter paint and decorate their first new home these past few weeks. The one thing our daughter requested was for her dad to build a keepsake farmhouse dining table.
The table was built from supplies left over from mycraft table project, in addition to four traditional maple wood turned legs fromLowe’sand a lot of braces. 🙂
Brianne and I painted the apron and legs a white chalk paint wash. Later, she applied Minwax Red Mahogany stain and a satin Minwax clear coat to the top.
I’ve been unsuccessfully looking for the “right” tables for our Family Room. Wouldn’t you know we had them under our noses the whole time! Both tables have sentimental value and fit our Family Room style perfectly.
Clearing out our in-law’s garage, we rescued an antique oak harvest table that had been used and abused as a garage workbench for many years. I fell in love with the oil stains, paint splatters, sawed down legs, and drilled out holes. I gave it a good scrubbing and a light sanding to get the grease, dirt and grit off.
Just wanting a hint of color, a blue paint mixture left over from previous projects was added to the apron and legs and then roughly sanded off. This was followed with a coat of wax and a buffing.
George scavenged our attic and came across my great grandmother Lola’s sewing cabinet. It had seen better days. After a thorough scrubbing and a light sanding, I stained the top with three coats of Minwax Red Mahogany and added three coats of Valspar’s Glass Tile paint to the cabinet. I finished up with a coat of wax and a buff.
I’m very happy with our “new” tables. Now, we just need to finish the fireplace surround, purchase an area rug, paint the trim . . . 😉
The second set of built-ins are in! Yay! To help control and hide toys, games and other “stuff” we ordered two Barker cabinet sets. Located in Oregon, Barker builds customizable wood cabinets with high quality hardware at reasonable prices. We ordered two-door sink base cabinets.
George cut and routed tops for each, which I stained a dark red mahogany, then added three coats of polyurethane.
In order to fit the built-ins snug against the fireplace brick, George had to cut both mantel ends off.
Talk about trepidation! But, as usual, he did a fantastic job!
With Thanksgiving and a business trip looming, George put together the cabinets and built the upper shelves. While he was out of town, I painted the cabinets, shelves and trim with two coats Glidden Gripper Primer & Sealer (love this primer) and three coats Behr Premium Ultra White, sanding between coats.
A fireplace surround and TV mount are our next projects – but after the holidays. 😉 We found many DIY ideas online, but really liked the simplicity of Cameras & Chaos‘ wall mount plans. George got an early start on the wood “wainscot-like” TV cable channels.
Family is coming to our home for Thanksgiving, and I wanted this room available for overflow. We screwed the last screw, pulled off painter’s tape and stowed the tools, paints and hardware this past Sunday. We moved the furniture back in and filled the shelves. Just to see how far we’ve come, we started with this . . .