I love to visit my school’s art room to see what the students are working on under the encouragement of our fantabulous art teacher. A recent project was painting ceiling tiles for the art room and hallways.
I’m ah-mazed at the vibrancy, depth and skill these young people displayed in their works. I just had to share a few close-ups of the tiles with you.
Can you recognize the budding Mondrian, Warhol or Lichtenstein?
I wonder if I can sweet talk a few into my classroom domain? 😉
I’m enjoying a ‘use-it-or-lose-it’ day off today. *happy sigh* A perfect day to catch up on small incomplete projects. In March, I posted about our Bedroom Revamp Plans.
I love the clean look of a white cotton matelassé paired with a patchwork quilt. Well, I found the matelassé . All that was missing was the quilt. I didn’t want a mass-produced quilt; yet I didn’t want to break the bank on an antique quilt, either. What’s a girl to do? Why, sew her own quilt, of course. While it is taking a little longer than I thought, I am so determined to complete this project. It will get done. I promise. LOL.
clockwise: Coastal Living; I Didn’t Say Banana; The Sometimes Crafter; BHG.com
Because of my on-going quilt project, I now have quite a collection of fabric scraps. Hmm. My sewing machine needed a cover (cozy). What better way to practice learning how to piece and quilt? Now remember . . . I’m learning. You’ll see my mistakes right away (hint: spools). 😕 But, I learned a good deal doing this little project:
Sewing Machine Cozy
Take Measurements Measure the length of your machine; include the hand wheel on the side.
Another quick year gone. Is it because I am growing older that the years are flying? 😉
All the same, 2013 was a decent year. I dipped my toes, left my comfort zone. I was encouraged and I learned. I was inspired by some very clever folks, homegrown and professional. Here are just a few. Hats off and thanks to all of you (check them out!):
Come in to my workroom dubbed Art Dream Workspace. It’s a dream that is now a reality. Oh, more still needs to be done (curtains, more storage, etc.) but I am ecstatic!
Where to begin?
The two biggest priorities were that family could spend time together in this room and because this is a very small room, and as you can see every inch is used, storage and organization was a must!
The breakfront secretary cabinet was a $25 USD Craigslist find that I painted with MMS Linen and Luckett’s Green Milk Paints. It’s full of jars and baskets that hold bits and pieces, glue guns, hole punches, stickers, yarn and crap galore.
Even the top of this cabinet is used for storing driftwood finds.
After taking care of my small craft paint storage problem, it was time to organize my larger paint pots, stains, waxes, brushes and tapes. My limitations were that the room is small, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money and it needed to be within reach of my easel.
This was a quick and cheap DIY project. The only thing I had to buy were the bun feet. I used scrap lumber (from Sewing Nook project), four purchased bun feet and an assortment of free paint samples. The shelf consists of the basic top/bottom and sides with one shelf and a thin back piece. I wiped the wood down, but did not sand or scrape any old paint off. While not a fine piece, it def suits my needs!
My craft paint supply had outgrown the vintage soda crate they were stored in. Plus, I work in a very small room and I needed to regain precious shelf space.
A cheap space saving organizer was needed. I like cheap; but no cost is even better! Left over paint, pallet and bead board scraps were used to build a larger organizer.
Pallet strips left over from other projects (Pallet Kitchen Island Worktable and Pallet + Plywood Workspace Table) were used to build a “frame” and a sheet of bead board (Half-bath Remodel) was used as backing. Two more pieces of pallet were used for the inner shelves. To hold it all in, a thin strip of finishing wood was added to the front of each shelf. To tie the woods together, MMS Luckett’s Green Milk Paint was dry-brushed over the organizer. Kind of looks like a rough and rustic, overgrown spice rack. 😉
Space saving, cheap and precious shelf space regained!